Tuesday, February 15, 2011

I only have eyes for you!

Last night, for Valentine's Day, I wanted to make my Sweetheart dinner. I saw something awhile back on the Edible Crafts website (www.ediblecrafts.craftgossip.com) that piqued my interest. It was an article about getting kids to eat food by putting eyeballs on them, but this particular post involved making little birds out of meatballs. My husband and I got married at a bird sanctuary about 3.5 years ago and since then we've had a lot of pleasant associations with birds (well, Hubby might think we now have TOO many bird-themed items in the house...maybe).

In any event, I stored the idea away for a Valentine's Day dinner because I thought it was so sweet. And it turned out like so:

Cute, right?

I made the eyeballs myself (instead of having to figure out where to buy candy eyes) with white and black royal icing. I made them about a month ago when I already had white and black royal icing in piping bags leftover from another cookie project. I now think the thing to do is always just make a few eyeballs before you empty your piping bags! If you only have white royal icing (Wilton's recipe works just fine), you can just pipe little white dots and draw on them with a black food marker (I like these).


I left my eyeballs in a bowl in the kitchen wondering if they'd get discovered or questioned, but they remained under the radar...and I pulled them out last night to work on my meatballs (I don't eat meat, so mine were vegetarian meatballs, but I'm certain it doesn't make a difference!). I carved small pieces of orange pepper for the beaks, and cut small slits to insert the beaks and eyeballs.

While shopping at Wegmans this weekend, we found a spinach parmesan fougasse bread, which is a favorite of ours. The baker got a little creative and shaped his fougasse into a heart...the perfect accompaniment for my lovebirds!

1 comment: