Saturday, February 26, 2011

Oh, Baby!

Some friends of ours just had a baby, which seemed like just as good a time to make cookies as any. :)  I used a recipe on one of my favorite baking blogs, Bake at 350.   Her cookies always look so perfect and don't seem to spread in the oven, so I tried her recipe (although I substituted the almond flavor for more vanilla since my friend has a severe nut allergy.  I don't know if there's any real nut in almond flavoring, but best to be safe!). 
I think it worked well, the cookies were nearly the exact shape as when I cut them out.  It's a little strange that her recipe uses cold butter instead of room temperature butter, but if it works, it works!   Here's her recipe:


Vanilla-Almond Sugar Cookies

3 c unbleached, all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 c sugar
 2 sticks (salted) butter, cold
 1 egg
 3/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp pure almond extract

Preheat oven to 350.

Combine the flour and baking powder, set aside. Cream the sugar and butter. Add the egg and extracts and mix. Gradually add the flour mixture and beat just until combined, scraping down the bowl, especially the bottom.

The dough will be crumbly, so knead it together with your hands as you scoop it out of the bowl for rolling (video on University of Cookie).

Roll onto a floured surface and cut into shapes. Place on parchment lined baking sheets (I recommend freezing the cut out shape on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before baking) and bake for 10-12 minutes. Let sit a few minutes on the sheet, then transfer to a cooling rack.




The little red wagon onesie above I did with the food markers I love, with just a few quick strokes.  
Then I boxed them all up for delivery (thank you trusty delivery lady!)
The twine is from an order I made at The Twinery...baking twine seems to be all the rate right now.  I ordered a small sample pack
and decided the "Caribbean" was a nice accompaniment to the blue and orange cookies:

3 comments:

  1. Oh baby, these look amazing! I especially like the presentation with the box and twine. Nice work sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous!! and Delicious. Amanda, you're amazing, thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! And you're welcome Elsa, congrats!

    ReplyDelete